Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Is Torres worth the cash?


You have to wonder how much age is a factor in Rafa Benetiz's $53M move for Fernando Torres. The 23-year old striker passed a medical for Liverpool today in a deal that sees 29-year old Luis Garcia head to Athletico Madrid for $8M.

I know Luis Garcia hasn't really been lighting it up at the Kop lately, but Fernando Torres, as good as he is, is no Andriy Shevchenko, but he's gone for nearly the same amount of money. While Torres is gifted and with unlimited potential, his fee dwarfs Thierry Henry's fee in his move from Arsenal to Barcelona.

Sure TH may be on the decline (not likely) at his age, but if you had told me a few years ago that a player like Torres would have gone for $20M more than him (at least before the age of 30), I'd have to ask you to roll me one too. Which makes me wonder if Tom Hicks will one day be speaking of Torres in the same breath as Juan Gonzalez. [Times Online, ESPN]

-bl

No comments: