Monday, August 28, 2006

More Keano


I have to say I’m a bit disappointed about Sunderland sitting at the bottom of the table, just because it’d be great to follow the arrival of Keano at the club if they had the coverage a Premiership team enjoys.

Roy Keane is set to be unveiled as the new manager of the Black Cats tomorrow, and was present at their win over West Brom today.

I’m sure we’ll hear about his taking over one of the worst clubs in English football (their performance against West Brom was perhaps the best they've played in years), and we’ll have to click on that link “Championship division” just to get the scoop on football’s most critical man, leading a team of less-than-mediocre players to vie for promotion.

To give you an idea, this is a man who was punched in the chin by manager Brian Clough for passing the ball back to the keeper in the late stages of win, only to nod in agreement over his time-wasting. In short, a man who does not stand anything less than perfection, so it should be interesting to see how he reacts when he realizes his team are barely capable of passing the ball to each other.

Let's stoke your desire to follow what seems like an impending disaster, by sharing some Keano quotes with you from the past.

After getting sent off for stamping on Gareth Southgate in 1995, Keane said: "He shouldn't be lying on the floor. Defenders shouldn't be on their backsides. I felt that he got in the way."

On his horrific lunge at Alf-Inge Haaland, Keane said: "Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, fuck him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He fucked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye.”

About Ireland manager, Mick McCarthy, “That man can rot in hell for all I care,” and, “Who do you think you are having meetings about me? You were a crap player and you are a crap manager. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and you're not even Irish you English c***!”

On Niall Quinn, his good friend, who sided with McCarthy during Keane’s fallout with the national side, "Niall Quinn going on TV and saying that he was shattered from it, saying he hadn't slept. Did he think it was a walk in the park for me coming back to Ireland, what my family and kids had to go through? He's sitting on TV pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. He deserves an Oscar that fella, making out to be Mother Teresa. People don't know half of it."

Well, Mother Teresa is signing your checks now, Keano.

-bl

Keane's the man [Guardian UK]

No comments: